27 July 2006

MST3K (207)

207 - Wild Rebels - Fooled again, just like with The Side Hackers. Here I was thinking season two was full of '60s biker movies, but we really haven't had one at all yet. Instead of bikers prowling the highways, we get a group of Nazi morons who live in a shack and suffer from a variety of speech impediments. I do love the "Citrusville First Nation Bank" sign constructed of ceiling tile and electrical tape. Awesome.

Servo's head got repaired, but now Joel's got a little something on his chin there.

I'm not a huge fan of Joel's "artist's renderings" host segments. They're static; I like props and goings-on. Much funnier was the segment in which the leather-clad bots jump Joel for "messing with private stock" (that is, the kicks-seeking Gypsy).

"Like getting hit in the back of the head with a surfboard of flavor." The Wild Rebels Cereal© host segment was brief, but funny and possibly good for you. I like it even more after reading in the ACEG that they essentially made it up on the spot.

Joel sneezes in the theater and a balloon pops loudly in the last host segment and its all left in the final edit. Ah, memories of KTMA.

Is it me, or is the audio for the movie portion way too soft on the Rhino DVD? Side Hackers had the same problem. Is it my system, Rhino, or did BBI mess up the audio (as they used to in the KTMA days)? (6/10)

film d. William Grefé (1967)
mst d. Jim Mallon (17 Nov 1990)

[I'm selling some MST3K stuff on eBay this week, including the hard-to-find DVD for MST3K: The Movie. Check out my auctions if you're interested.]