06 August 2006

MST3K (213)

213 - Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster - Godzilla, Part 7 is much better than Part 13. No annoying kids and kooky robots here; just old school Mysterious Island-style giant monsters and James Bond-style evil organizations. The titular Sea Monster was pretty nifty, I thought. A big, disgusting lobster is neater than the unidentifiable bug-thing from the last movie. It seems to be SOP that you get more giant monsters in a Godzilla movie than mentioned in the title. It was nice to see Mothra put in an appearance as an escape vehicle, even though she didn't partake in any fisticuffs.

Joel's bout of space madness was hysterical. His facial expressions and voice are dead-on obsessed geek. I love Crow's loud laugh when he hides under the table. My only disappointment was that the guys didn't follow up during the next host segment. C'mon, Crazy Joel forgot about the destruction to his precious models?

I was a little disappointed there wasn't any special season finale-type stuff going on. Last year, we had a doomsday device that spanned the host segments. Crazy Joel would've been a great idea to span the segments for this finale. He has been up there for two years now.

The theme of ripping on the one-eyed evil guy's monocular vision was fun. Leader-Guy: "You must be losing your sight." Servo-as-One-Eye: "I don't think that's funny, sir, but go on."

For a song not written by Mike, the "Godzilla Genealogy Bop" wasn't bad. However, I was thrown off by references to a couple famous people I didn't recognize. (Lorna Luft is Judy Garland's non-Liza daughter, Karl Malden is a character actor who apparently possesses a grotesque nose). Good to know that Ron Perlman is Godzilla's grandson, too.

I get the sense that the guys recently watched Killdozer. This is the second ep in a row in which they reference it. Makes me want to seek out a copy.

"I'm on a seafood diet. I see food and I rip it out of your arm socket." (8/10)

film d. Jun Fukuda (1966)
mst d. Jim Mallon (2 Feb 1991)