15 September 2006

MST3K (321)

321 - Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - Santa Claus conquers the Martians... with love! And toys. And wackiness! I think I've got a new Christmas tradition. I can't wait to force this one on the family for Xmas '07 (unless 521 is even better). Outside of marathons, this is the first holiday the guys have celebrated since Crow was frozen. I wish they'd do it more often. It's fun. I like seeing the SOL decked out for the season. It makes for a nice change of pace for the show.

Santa: "Well, we've never disappointed the kids, yet." Joel: "Except for the poor ones." Knowing that "A Patrick Swayze Christmas" was in this episode was the main reason I rented Road House a few months back. Woo-hoo, I was able to catch all of the references! Yes, yes it was funny.

The main evil-bad guy looks like Trapper John v.1 and he does a nice job with his part. He's got the evil-bad guy diction matched with a nicely booming voice. Trying to explosively decompress both Santa Claus and two little kids, however, seems a tad too evil for a children's movie like this. How about a Martian ray that takes away Santa's special powers? That might a level of evil more appropriate.

After a season full of references, I finally broke down and looked up where "there's something wrong on Saturn 3" came from. It's from the movie Saturn 3, shockingly enough. Dammit, Netflix doesn't have it available. Now I'll never find out what's wrong.

As I read each ACEG entry for the episodes that I watch, I've come to discover that I hate the ones written by Paul Chaplin. Too much malice, not enough funny. "Dropo in particular is a mincing little creep." C'mon, man. Dropo rules.

"Smoking is good for you. Ho, ho ho." (7/10)

film d. Nicholas Webster (1964)
mst d. Jim Mallon (21 Dec 1991)