17 September 2006

MST3K (322)

322 - Master Ninja I - (aka The Master: "Max" + The Master: "Out-of-Time Step") Some war veterans roam the countryside in a suped-up van righting things that once went wrong. It's the The A-Team without all that welding. I love wandering do-gooder shows: The Incredible Hulk, Quantum Leap, hell, I even get a kick out of the syrupy Highway to Heaven.

Joel: "You know everyone's gonna know he's a ninja if they play that theme every time he comes in somewhere." Lee Van Cleef as a ninja? Sold. I don't care what kind of weenie sidekick they hook him up with. Lee Van Cleef going apeshit and destroying a bar? I'd buy that for more than a dollar.

This was a fun episode. I liked the movie selection. The riffing was funny. "Pop-Up Books for Adults" is actually a good idea for an invention. There was "goofy take on the movie" host segment in which the bots ninja-fight, which is always welcome. And, the "Master Ninja Theme Song" is hilarious. What an honor to have your letter read during such a performance!

Weird. I definitely remember watching "The Van Patten Project" host segment back in the day. I don't remember anything else from this episode, though. It's nice that I've forgotten so much, I suppose. All of these episodes are like new to me.

The funniest part of the episode -- the part that had me randomly cracking up throughout when I thought about it -- was an accident. With the unmistakable sound of ripping Velcro, Crow's net spontaneously falls off his head around the 35-minute mark. "Ouch," he says as Joel rubs his bald head. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the slapdash nature show contributes scads to its charm. Jim Mallon could've yelled "cut," but, instead, Crow happily riffs the remaining ten minutes without his hair. Excellent.

Another contest? I don't think they've announced any winners to the last dozen of these things (okay... just two: "Kenny, What Gives?" and "Other Ways to Snuff Gaos"). What gives? Okay, all right. Ideas for 'chucks? Easy. Trumpy-chucks.

"Hey! I bought that chair and you're gonna use it!" (8/10)

film d. Robert Clouse & Ray Austin (1984)
mst d. Jim Mallon (11 Jan 1992)