04 October 2006

MST3K (407)

407 - The Killer Shrews (w/ Junior Rodeo Daredevils) - In the Ray Kellogg pantheon of films, this is his lesser effort. Shrews lacks the heart that Gila had. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that 80% of Shrews is people standing in a room, drinking. On the other hand, it's mercifully free of cheezy ballads sung by the lead actor. Speaking of, I would've never imagined Rosco P. Coltrane as a leading man, but here he is.

The episode was average. I laughed, but not a lot, at the riffing. The host segments were the most fun part this round, from the Mads' pointless plan to split the Earth in twine to Joel as a goofball cowboy. My favorite host segment was the drink recipe. Surely, I will have to try this someday (though it is suspiciously similar to some of the "Rainy Day Epicacs"):

The Killer Shrew

Blend until the Peeps have disappeared. Serve in a large, plastic tulip glass and garnish with a wind-up shrew. Just add Wax Lips to make a Vulcan Mind Probe instead.

"I think I just heard Griswold explode. You?" (7/10)

film d. Ray Kellogg (1959)
short d. ?? (1949)
mst d. Jim Mallon (25 Jul 1992)