06 October 2006

MST3K (408)

408 - Hercules Unchained - Like Joel and the Bots, I had no idea what was going on for much of movie. Strangely, this didn't matter. The film was entertaining enough without making sense, something I wish I could say about Might Jack. Dancing women in togas, sword fighting' and cat rasslin' were probably the main advantages this flick had over old MJ.

"Uh, I forgot how my muscles work." In a reverse of how 407 struck me, this episode was stronger in the riffing department and padded with so-so host segments. Episodes with big, dumb characters are great for the guys to work with. Putting lines into Hercules' mouth is always good for a laugh. Plus, describing Hercules' chiseled, oiled stomach muscles as "poppin' fresh muffins" was both hilarious and exactly accurate.

I did, of course, love Mike as Steve Reeves. Mike's great at playing a big, dumb guy and it was nice to see him back onscreen in a non-clown capacity. I also enjoyed the host segment in which the Bots try to get Joel to say out loud what Hercules and Lidia do after "snuggling and kissing and stuff." It was well-acted by Joel, though I get the impression he'd be that bashful about the subject in real life.

"You know what they say: you can only rent waters of forgetfulness." (7/10)

film d. Pietro Francisci (1959)
mst d. Jim Mallon (1 Aug 1992)