13 November 2006

MST3K (506)

506 - Eegah - The face of nepotism: it isn't pretty. You have to hand it to Arch Hall Sr., though. He could've used his real name in the film credits. Instead, he used a fake name to make sure the attention would be focused on his son. It makes it look like Jr. was actually cast for his talent. Very clever and what a dad!

Sunday was a long day. By the time I got around to popping this disc in, I was pretty tired. I could barely keep my eyes open for most of the episode. Luckily, this is one I know I've already seen before. Like many people, I would imagine, this is the very first episode of MST3K (along with 513) that I ever actually owned. More than six years ago, Rhino started releasing these things on disc. That's probably the length of time between my last viewing of this episode and yesterday's. I found that I'd completely forgotten every single host segment, but I had a pretty good memory of the movie. That seems normal.

Wow, a way-old blast from the past. The invention that Joel creates to freeze Crow to absolute zero seems suspiciously similar to the olden days of K05 when Crow was frozen as a Christmas tree. Luckily, this modern freezing was only temporary and Crow was able to join Joel and Servo in the theater. This is the second KTMA reference we've had recently. Interesting.

Is this the start of the extreme tortures of TV's Frank? Draining all of his blood and replacing it with antifreeze seemed a little gorey for the show. Maybe that's why this was my favorite invention in a very long time? Poor, pale-faced Frank walking around in a daze with a radiator grill bolted into his chest was worth some out-loud laughing.

The device that would contort Joel's face into Arch Hall Jr.'s visage was brilliant.

The middle of this episode also marked my halfway point in this project. After the credits rolled, I had 98 done and 97 to go. It's going by pretty quickly, though my push to reach Turkey Day '93 by Turkey Day '06 is hard. This is the tenth episode I've watched in a row without a break and I have ten more days of the same before I arrive at the proper place. I supposed the entire month of November is my personal Turkey Month Marathon.

"Sorry about my face." (7/10)

film d. Arch Hall Sr. [as Nicholas Merriwether] (1962)
mst d. Joel Hodgson (28 Aug 1993)