01 March 2007

MST3K (802)

802 - The Leech Woman - Here's a record: there are exactly zero likable characters in this movie. Everyone in the picture is motivated by lust or pride or greed or envy or booze. I'm sure wrath, sloth and gluttony were simply cut for time. I suppose it could function as a handy catalog of everything wrong with our species. Everything from racism to murder to attempting to rob an old lady is covered. I eagerly await the inevitable remake. I can see Paris Hilton as the lead.

I must admit: I never completely understood the comedic value of monkeys. Countless movies and TV shows have relied on the humor of chimpanzees in diapers. I don't get it. Monkeys doing monkey things just aren't funny to me. Yeah, we're also primates and we can see ourselves in them. Whoop-dee-doo. Unfortunately, as their replacement for Deep 13, MST3K taps into this mysterious phenomenon monkey humor. Let's just say I'm not a fan. Maybe if they start cracking some poop-throwing jokes I'll feel better about it.

It's official: this episode has the most annoying end credits of the entire series. The previous winner has been handily unseated by Kevin Murphy's minute-long shout of "JEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" in Granny Clampett's voice. I'd almost rather listen "Ventolin" at 50 dB. Ouch.

"Typical British reaction: throw dynamite at the problem." (7/10)

film d. Edward Dein (1959)
mst d. Kevin Murphy (8 Feb 1997)